Saturday, February 9, 2008

Great success!

Well today was the big run. I've decided to do one big long run every two weeks, just to allow my body to recover, and then every other week, just make sure the long run is up at around 15 miles, then for the big one, push out to 20+.

So today was the 20+ day, and I've never been above 18.5 miles before. So I went out really steady, nice and easy... and had with me just under two litres of homemade drink, with some pine nuts as well, just to keep me going. Overall the run went really well I felt, post 15 miles I did walk up the really steep hills as it would have been pointless to run up them as I would have been going the same speed as walking up them. However, I never really hit the wall so to speak. Last time my legs really felt like mush at around 16 miles, when I did the 18.5 mile run, but this time, taking it slow and steady I think paid off, as although I was tired at around 16 miles, the legs felt good (well as good as they can do!).

Admittedly the last 3 miles were tough, and did include some bitch'in hills towards the end, which I had to walk up, but I got round. It's not helped that I do loops which go past my flat. So when I got to 18 miles, it was very tempting to leave it at that, but I told myself that I had to carry on and do the 21. And I'm so glad I did, overall I went round in a little over 3 hours, which I was really surprised at. I didnt take my watch, but I know I left the flat at just gone 3:30pm, and got back just gone 6:30pm... Personally, I thought I was gonna come in at around 3hrs 15 mins, so was quite surprised to see I came in at 3 hours. This is really positive for me, considering the hilly nature of the course I run, and doubly because I felt like I could have carried on - although who knows what the final 5 miles would feel like! But overall, really pleased with the training today, and going to try and top it all with a very gentle 7 miler tomorrow, which should take me up to around 53 miles for the week. However we'll have to see how the legs feel tomorrow!

I did have a litre of Powerade when I got back and it's amazing how it does aide your recovery after a long run like that. Need to purchase some Rego though, and start trying all that. In fact, I need to start buying all my proper nutrition and drinks, as at the moment I'm probably not being as conscious as I should be at the moment. Anyways... laters.

2 comments:

Lloyd Biddell said...

Good run Dan. Just a few more of these so you get used to the distance and you'll be ready for the marathon.

Just one week to my marathon so only 12.5 miles today for me.

Dan said...

Cheers Lloyd, really happy with the run, and surprised by the time as well. Got another three 20+ milers planned, so hopefully all will go well. Best of luck with your mate too... really hope you can break the 3hr barrier. You never know, you may surprise yourself too :) All the best for a good run!