Thursday, February 5, 2009

Smashed...

I thought this cycling lark was meant to be easy, just sitting there. Hell no... I'm beasted this week. A little over 100kms in the first four days this week, and this morning showed I was tired. I haven't just been sitting there either. They've been intensive rides with lots of bursts of energy, then short rests inbetween, but still cycling if you know what I mean. I think I might have to vary it up a little more as if I carry on at this rate I'll be wrecked every single day. I had to take the difficulty down a notch half way through as the quads were just getting shot to bits.

But it's all good, the intensive rides are keeping me fit and varying the heart rate quite a bit... I just need to build in some of the longer slower rides now to act almost as resting periods. I've had four days of really smashing myself to bits and I can't sustain that for 7 days a week, 7 weeks.

As a result the swimming has taken a slightly backwards step, with only 3kms down in the pool so far. I think I'll take a rest from the cycling tomorrow and do a longish swim instead.

It's getting close now. I'm in the final throws of sorting kit out. I have pretty much all of it. Need to order some bits and pieces and we'll be done. 18 months of training and planning. Let's hope the leg doesn't break out in the desert :)

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

Hi Dan, you are doing some amazing training, I'm sure you will have kept your fitness levels up.
Not long to go now!!