Sunday, February 22, 2009

The good and the bad...

I'm getting very bored of the gym now... and it's showing in that I've only trained 4 times this week. Yesterday was a hard session. An hour on the cross-trainer, and then 45 mins hard cardio on the bike.

The first session was an easy 40 mins on the cross-trainer, followed by 20 mins harder work, switching better 5 mins hard and the 5 mins easy. That was tough graft, and then 45 mins of speed work on the bike really did me over to be honest. The speed one is tough. It's a bit like interval training in that you hard and short sessions in the whole session, but the tough sessions get longer, and the breaks of easy sessions in between get shorter. Plus I put myself under more pressure by setting myself certain rev per minute targets as well. Needless to say I was pretty smashed afterwards.

Today however I did nothing. I was working for most of it, but was pretty tired (and sunburnt) afterwards, so in the end didnt go. Plan is to get up early tomorrow and go to the gym. The swimming has taken a real backward step, but its not too much of an issue as the bike work is a good workout.

I also bought a fair bit of kit this weekend too. The Kayano 15's are teh trainer of choice for me, and I've only gone half a size up. I think to go anymore is just plain stupid in my book. I've raced in hot conditions over here and the feet just dont swell that much. As long as you look after them, raise them in the evening, and I think you should be fine. so size 11's it is for me. I also bought some Wiley X sunglasses too - pretty expensive, but worth it I feel. Great sunglasses, and should serve me well.

On the food front, I've also got a mix of things. I'm taking some Tinderry food as I know I'll be craving some sort of vegetable and decent food out there. The expedition foods are great for calories per weight, but it's really not all about calories I feel. You have to get the right nutrients in you too. I whilst some of the Expedition Foods are nice, I also feel that much of it is a bit like slop, with not the great nutritional benefits. The Tinderry stuff, whilst not overly calorific, is extremely tasty, and has vegetables in there too. The chilli beef cous cous is great, and I have a chicken curry with rice tonight and it was top. Shame it's only 400 calories.

No comments: