Sunday, December 14, 2008

Weekend update

So on Friday night I managed to get out after work for a run. The weather was appalling with horizon rain and 60km/ph winds around the Bay, but still I had to get out, I was going crazy. I took what I thought was a very steady pace and in the end decided only to do the 7kms. I didn't want to overdo it too much after having 9 days off, so halfway round I made my mind up only to do the one lap. Despite some serious head winds at times, I went round in 33mins 30secs, which is 4:45km pace. It felt too easy to be true, but hey who am I to complain.

However the real test was how I felt after the run, as the pain is not present when I run, only afterwards. Admittedly I did feel twinges whilst running, and I never felt 100% confident on the leg either with my style shifting and changing quite a bit throughout. Afterwards the leg didn't feel the greatest to be honest, and so I rested it on Saturday and still it felt pretty dodgy. So last night I went off for a swim and my usual 1km of breast stroke, and I came out the pool a different man!

So I got up this morning, and the leg felt pretty good, so I thought I'd go for a longer run today to see how things went. I wasn't quite sure how long that run would be, but it needed to be at least 18kms. In the end I did two laps of the extended Bay Run, which is 9.5km laps. I went round the first one in 46mins 30secs feeling pretty easy, and then turned around and did the second one in 45mins 30secs. However I did have to work pretty hard for the last 4kms, just to keep pace. The heart rate did creep up quite a bit. Maybe I shouldn't be too hard on myself, given the conditions (hot and windy), but still, it's 1hr 32mins for 19kms, which isn't all that bad following the injury. That works out around 4min 50sec kms, which to be honest is probably too quick again, but for some reason I can't seem to help myself! Still I'm sitting here 1 hour later and the leg is feeling OK. Fingers crossed that it's subsided now and properly on the mend. So after 2 frustrating weeks of low mileage, I'm hoping that we're back on track and time to get some bigger distances in.

No comments: