Saturday, December 20, 2008

Rest and swimming

I do fear the worst with the old leg, it's still very tender to touch on the bone and walking is not the best. So I've made the decision to not do any running until Jan 1st, and then take it very easy following that - building up slowly first two weeks for what I hope will be a final onslaught in February. So as a result, I'll be swimming pretty much daily from now on. At the moment I'm only doing about 1 to 1.5kms in the pool, but will increase that to get a good work out.

On another note, my family arrived in Sydney today, so the timing is good?!?!?! Not that I want to be injured, but c'est la vie, you can't get all angry about it, you have to deal with it. I have to be sensible now and only run when I know the leg is feeling like it can. Last time, after I rested for 9 days and then went back at it like a bat out of hell again, I knew it wasn't right but carried on thinking I could just train through it when really I should have rested.

I want to try and target the Narrabeen 100k/12hr ultra as quite a few people I know are doing it and I think it would be a great laugh to do. However I won't do it if it's not right - but the plan is to work towards that again. Oh well... plenty of Sydney tourist stuff to do with family Bleakman and many a lap at the Ian Thorpe pool for the next 10 days or so! I just hope I don't lose too much fitness. To be fair though, after I had 9 days off last time, I was running quicker than I had before, on average!

No comments: