Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sharp 6kms, sharp twinge

That twinge from my left leg is getting worse and I cant help thinking about the dreaded words - 'stress fracture'. I can't quite pinpoint if the pain is on the muscle or the bone, but it feels like the latter. It feels like my shin splints used to, but only on the outer left leg in between the knee and the ankle. Still I went out tonight after work and it was a glorious 32 degrees, that made for hard going. As did the fact that I forgot some decent socks, my stopwatch and my heart rate monitor. I'm such an idiot. As such I thought I'd run to time, and take off 15% of my maximum time around the Bay Run, which equates to around 28 mins for 6kms. I set off way too quick and against a very strong headwind, and to be honest I was going too quick - proven by the fact that I did the 6kms in just over 27mins- so 4min 30sec kms, which is way too quick for this kind of run.

The pain is weird, I can feel it when I walk, and when I start running, but after about 200metres or so it disappears. Needless to say, having gone off too quick, having the wrong socks and worried about the leg, I only ended up doing half what I wanted to do. I really should get hold of all my equipment so I can do this thing properly. Anyway, I sorted out my 3 different types of heart rate for the three different runs and they are as follows:

RECOVERY: 136 - 143
MAINTAIN: 150 - 157
HOT LAP: 164 - 171

First of all though, I need to sort out the leg... I'm going to rest it tomorrow, mainly because that's enforced. Working in PR means you get to go to lots of Christmas parties! However I may get up early and go swimming at the Olympic Pool in Milsons Point, which over looks Sydney Harbour Bridge. There really is no other better pool in the world I think!

No comments: