Monday, March 3, 2008

Issues...

Not me personally, but now I know why I felt so bloody awful on Saturday during my long run - well at least part of the reason. Went to go for my 7 mile recovery run yesterday and filled up the camelbac. Came back 10 mins later to find it leaking... so guess what, no wonder I ran out of water at 18 miles on Saturday! I reckon I only got through about 1.25-1.5 litres of water on the 18 miler on Saturday, and thought it bizarre that I had run out so soon... now I know why! Still doesn't distract from the fact that I was probably dehydrated before I went out.

So all in, 57 miles for the week, and a new high mileage for me personally, however I'm disappointed with the way in which I ran. Not having a camelbac for the recovery run was a nightmare, because it was about 24 degrees and 60% humidity, so I had to carry my raidlight bottle. Now then... who the hell invented the straw system in that? Certainly not a runner I can tell you. It's a nightmare! You have to suck like a vampire to get anything out of it, and then blow back into it to get the air back in the bottle. In the end I got so annoyed I pulled the straw out and chucked it en route... probably not the best thing to do in hindsight!

Anyway, another thing is that I don't think I'm eating enough generally. I'm wasted at the moment, and and I don't think I'm getting enough calories in my body to make up for all the running I'm doing. I haven't weighed myself in the last few months, but I reckon I've lost between 6-8kgs in that time. How do I know? Well I got some trousers made in Thailand last year to fit me perfectly. There's not about a two inch gap around the waist, and they are falling down... so a clear indication there. So lessons learnt from this week?

- Get a decent camelbac system!
- Start to eat more and better
- Hydrate properly before a big run (done this one before haven't I?)

Anyways... 3 more big weeks, and then 3 weeks of taper... need to make these count if I'm serious about a 3hr 30's marathon.

No comments: