Friday, March 21, 2008

Injury and illness

Well as it says above, the calf's are still giving me some grief, and I'm now slightly under the weather again, with a sore throat and head cold. But it's not too bad to be honest as I've been able to get out and about and still keep this week's training on track.

So after the 10.5 miler on Monday night, I had some friends visit me over in Sydney Tuesday and Wednesday, so decided to take two days off, which was nice as it has taken the pressure off somewhat from the marathon. But back on it again at 6am on Thursday morning when I was feeling slightly rough with a sore throat, but went round OK, and then today, Good Friday on it again. Because of the stiffness in my calf's, I've put myself back on the treadmill for today's run, which whilst direly boring, is kind of a necessity. Running on there means that my calf's dont give me any grief when I'm on that machine. So went round 8.5 miles in 72 mins, which was fine given that I'm feeling slightly under the weather.

So back to the big one tomorrow, and I'm planning on doing 22 miles on the treadmill. This is going to be a nightmare in terms of sheer boredom, but as I mentioned, this is a necessity for me now because of my calf situation. So all in all, if I can get 22 miles under my belt tomorrow, I'll be right back on track and a happy man. That will mean I've done three 20+ milers in preparation for the marathon, which I think is about smack on.

Once the marathon is done (assuming I get through!), I'll now have to start thinking about the next 5 months training, which is quite weird because in the final 6 months in the run up to the MDS I know what I'm doing. However the 5 months in between is quite weird because it's a case of keeping things going, but introducing more weight on the backpack, and varying the types of training more. So more uphills, more intervals, and lots of different types of training.

No comments: