Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Silly boy

After a cross-training session on Sunday in the gym for 45 mins, last night was day two of the come back.

I decided to head down to the grass track near the Bay in Rozelle, which is a bit of a bad idea as in my head, it then becomes a race to see how far I can run in 15 mins. I said to myself to keep it slow... and slow I did for the first 1km or 2 1/2 laps... knocking off in about 5 mins 20 secs. However as I relaxed more, I got faster and faster until I knew I was trying to do as much as possible. This is pretty stupid given that I haven't run much in 7 weeks and I need to stop myself. Anyway, for the record I knocked the last 1 km off in 4mins 35secs.

It was strange as I did 3,100m in the 15 mins which is just under 5min kms... I was a little concerned as I was breathing pretty heavy at the end of it and I thought to myself that my fitness had been lost quite a bit. But then I realised that I did the last km in that time and it dawned on me. Still everything is OK, the leg was fine again, and no ill effects or anything like that. Another rest day today, or maybe a chill session in the pool. I need to start getting into the sauna as well for 30 mins each night to start raising the core body temperature too. As well as get my ECG and medical sorted. It's close now... 3 weeks until I leave these fair shores. I'm feeling good about the MDS now... if I can keep my body in check, I'll do everything within my power to smash the thing to bits. Steady for the first two days, then ramp it up day 3 and 4, smash day 5... run on adrenaline on day 6...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take it easy - check your ego at the door and I would actually advise to leave your watch at home so you're not looking at km splits.

No point saying I did 4 min 35km after seven weeks off if it means you re-injure yourself.

Drop it back to 6 min km and just enjoy being out there jogging around. There are a lot of little stabiliser muscles that need to build up in your feet and hips etc. Soft and slow mate.

Take it easy.

Mike Blamires said...

The fisrt comment is correct, take it easy, rip up the MdS.

Your strategy is pretty my the same as mine, ramp up during the week and avoid busting yourself when your pack is heavy. Take it easy.

Loving the Aarn!!