Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Frick'in freezing!

It's cold over here, and it's official - I'm a soft Aussie! Anyway... today was a better day and I'm now sorted on the packing front. I've just about got everything in the Aarn. It's a tight squeeze but it's there, with the sleeping matt on the outside initially. I'm really cutting it fine, but I think I've got rid of any surplus that I dont need and the pack stands at 9.3kgs - which is not bad.

I culled back on some of the food again today. It's amazing what you can do when you revise things, and I even managed to lose weight, but gain in calories. Managed to get hold of the pepperami I wanted and lose a few bags of crisps as a result. The trick with this as well is that even on the short day, day 7, you have to carry 2,000 calories. However what you do is use this to supplement days 5 and 6, so whilst they look light on paper, you have the excess from day seven as well.

The other good news is that I did a very light 10kms completely pain free and devoid of any shin splint pain. This is a real encouragement for me as in private, I'm crapping myself about the shin splint pain. It's completely debilitating, and even though in theory I'm meant to be worse in the cold, they stood firm. As did my gaitors, which was the point of today's run. The glue has cracked a little on some of the bending points on the trainer, but it's held pretty firm. I'll be going over the edges with duck tape tonight as well, so that there are three barriers for it, glue, tape and stitching. Will try and put some pictures up later. off to meet a guy who's in my tent for this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you mate - all sounds like it is coming together very well!

Allison got a 3 page article in the latest R4YL magazine.

I'm heading out on Saturday for 45km on the North face course - should be good.

We're all cheering for you here on the infamous email list.

Dan said...

Save a copy for me mate! Thanks for your comments as well... much appreciated - keeps me going!

Smash it up on North Face! Think I might have to get my entry in for that :)