Thursday, March 19, 2009

Time to put up and shut up...

So the time is almost here. This time next week I'll be in Morocco, languishing in the laps of some 5 star luxury before we get bused out to the desert and begin our trek. I've done quite a bit of thinking in the last 24 hours about my leg situation, and reminded myself of why i got into this in the first place - Chris Moon.

For all my whinging and frankly softness over the last couple of months, this is a guy who did the bloody thing with one damn working leg. I have two of the bastards and and need to remember that. It's a walk in the park compared to the stuff Chris went through, and thinking about all that made me realise that ultimately, this trip is about enjoying what I'm about to do. I need to remember this, remember to enjoy it!

So the kit list is now done, the well wishes have been said, and off to the UK I fly in 36 hours. It's been a hell of a journey, an amazing one. Incidentally I went to the podiatrist this afternoon. She said I didn't get a stress fracture, I probably actually fractured my leg - shit the bed! Well it's done now and recovered (I think)... and I just can't wait to get out into the desert and begin this race. It will be amazing and a trip of a lifetime, despite the pain it will cause. But it will be immensely rewarding once complete.

I'll be sending updates to this blog via a friend of mine whilst away... however I'm sure there will be a post or two before I leave. I hope it's been enjoyable for those you have read it. Running blogs are strange things to keep. In short, they shouldn't be interesting because they record the runs you do. I try to keep mine interesting with thoughts and opinions - I always fancied myself as a writer, maybe this is a way to do that. Still, I hope it inspires in some way...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live in the moment - don't be in such a rush to complete the race - take it all in.

Rich said...

All the very best mate, I know you'll not just complete it, but you'll enjoy it. Have a great week! Rich