Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Weary man

Well I think I may have slightly underestimated the Bondi Barefoot race a little. I thought, yeah a simple 10km, no problem. However my legs over the last few days have been very heavy, coupled with the fact that I'm doing 13/14 hour days at work has made training a little more arduous this week. I'm also wondering if training 6 days a week is a little too much too. I've incorporated more speedwork into my training now, so I'm wondering if I need to do my session on a Monday, and should indeed take that as a rest day? Or if not, just drop the intensity a little. Or maybe I;m just tired at the moment and being a bit of a lameass :)

The session on Monday night was OK actually, a brisk 4 miles as planned, but only on the treadmill. But last night has to rank as a real shocker. I knew I was tired, my legs felt tired, my whole body felt tired. However stubborn old me got his gear on and ran home from work, and was simply just shattered to be frank. I didnt warm up properly either before I left and as a result, the shin splints kicked in too, which made matters worse, suffice to say I was literally hobbling around my shortened 5 miles (from 7 miles) course last night. I got home, wasted... but after a good night's sleep last night I'm feeling much better. It's all a bit hectic at the moment, but hopefully things will settle down soon and training be fine. I remember before my marathon that I used to be shattered most nights, and I think because April was a weird month in that for the first two weeks I was tapering, and then the last two was building back up following the marathon, it was a strange month. So May is now my first full month back into it all again, so my body is probably trying to get use to it all again!

1 comment:

Craig B. said...

Hi Dan,

Yes, tiredness is a sign, that one should have a break. In all the books I have on running, the concept of a break now and then is a salient feature, and I reckon one should heed this advice from time to time. I'm like you - stubborn, tenacious, bloody-minded - and I'll run 'til I am injured again. No, put that in the past tense, as I think I may just have learnt a thing or two.

I've also heard tell, that a week off from running (all exercise) every so often, also does the body a world of good, and probably the mind, too.

These are just thoughts. I'm off on an 18-km run shortly. I'm tired, too, but that's tiredness from other activities, and not solely from running.

Take care of yourself, or I shall release the camel spiders!!!

Cheers, mate.
Craig