Thursday, May 22, 2008

Frustrations

I just don't get it at all... my shins have been giving me some grief now for a few days and today it all hit a bit of a head, and after 3 miles of my planned 10miler tonight, I just ground to a halt. Maybe it's the fact that I need some new trainers... more than likely. However despite the pain somewhat, I carried on walking. I thought I'd at least walk my proposed course, even if running was an arse. So off I set, and walked 4 miles, and the pain eased up. I got to my nice steep hill, and by the time I was there, the pain had pretty much gone. For some reason running uphill doesn't seem to hurt them at all. So I thought I'd have a crack at 8 hill sprints/strides, each of 200 metres in length, with a walk recovery down them. So 8 hill strides I did, and it all felt OK to be honest. It's a pretty steep hill as well, about a 1 in 10, and at around 150m, the legs are really burning!

So I ran back down home, and added on another mile running, and the shins felt all OK. Yes they were sore still, but I could run comfortably. So from grinding to a halt, to running all within an hour - I just don't get it at all, bizarre. So all in tonight I did 9.5 miles, which on reflection ended up being an OK night. OK, so 4 miles I walked, but I walked them pretty quick, plus I had about 4.5kgs in the backpack as well (which I wore on the hill sprints too). Oh well... tres bizarre!

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

Hi Dan, injuries are so frustrating!! Maybe you do just need new shoes, lets hope it's something simple like that, I guess the amount of training we are having to do does inevitably make us more susceptible to injury though! Hope you have a good weekend. Stephx