Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Short but sweet

So this week is my lighter week. I've decided to a lot stricter on enforcing this than I have been in previous months (mainly because I was training for the Canberra marathon), and make sure that my body has a lighter load one week a month. It be fair it probably neds to given that I ran myself into the ground (quite literally) over the weekend effectively doing 20 miles a day average over Saturday and Sunday. Looking back am really pleased with that as this whole 'bouncebackability' thing is really key to the MDS. However my legs are pretty stiff this week, and even though it's Wednesday, my legs are still a little sore. However despite really not wanting to go out last night I dragged myself out and did a very short shuffle of 3.5 miles just to get the legs moving again, and on the basis of this morning, I think it worked out quite well.

I'm also really not liking the whole running in the dark thing at the moment either. In the UK I never had an issue with this, but I think I've been spoilt so much out here in Sydney. So, I'm thinking to try and switch to monring runs, as it's so much nicer. However I'm not the greatest at getting my lazy ass out of bed each morning!

I've also decided to make sure I do a really long run once a month, and by this, I'm talking 26+miles - so will probably be taking myself off the the Blue Mountains quite a bit and spend a whole day running. It's going to be nine months of hell! I also can't believe that I'm 9 months in - or exactly half-way. I think the good news is that I'm right where I want to be, probably a bit further if I'm honest when I first started this whole adventure. I also think that looking at other people's trainin and seeing how well they are doing really spurs you on as well. It's also quite a challenge tryiong to keep things in perspective when you go off and do races. I did schedule myself to run the Hunter Valley half marathon in a few months. But the more i think about it the more I think, what use is running a half marathon to me in the desert? Not much if I'm honest - so I've upgraded to the full marathon. However now I'm thinking, how much do I 'race' this so to speak? I said that I wouldn't be running anymore road marathons because they screw you up! However I want to do the miles, and part of me says, just take it steady and use it as an endurance run. The other half of me really really wants to break the 3hr 30min mark - but in doing that I know I'll bugger myself up for a few weeks. The reality is that the Hunter Valley marathon is not the end goal - it's part of the journey, so really I should take it fairly easy and not race it - but I'm just too damn competitive, I knwo I am!

No comments: