Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tough work

Last night was the dreaded 7.5 miles along the pavements and concrete back home from work. I only really do this once a week, even though I'd love to do it more as it would help fit things in better, but running on the concrete is horrible. I question sometimes just how much good the run is doing me. I have to stop and start a lot in the city because of the traffic lights and last night it was all too much like hard work. The only real benefit I feel I get out of the run is that I do hill sprints when there are hills, apart from that I think I'll call these a day and wait til I get home. Which is a pain as it takes up so much of my time. I really need to get my arse into gear in the mornings, get up at 6am, and get out running.

That said I still had the 45kms in my legs from Saturday, and with the wind in the city, I found the going tough last night. I rocked home in a very steady 66 minutes for 12kms, so 5min 30secs kms. OK I suppose, but it felt tough. However the legs feel better today, so it's off for a nice easy 7km, followed by some hill work afterwards. I'm wondering just how much use the Melbourne marathon is going to be now. I'm not really tapering for it at all, and as a result, I don't think I'll be running much quicker than 3hr 35min. A shame as I want to try and put a PB in for this one, however I also dont want to cut too much back on the weekly milage. Maybe I'll just do some shorter fast sessions next week, and rest properly before it... who knows...

No comments: