Monday, October 27, 2008

A nice tough week

So after a bit of rest following the overnighter 9 days ago, last week was a ramp up again with 84kms covered in 4 days. Thursday and Friday were gentle 16km and 12km respectively and then the bigger stuff at the weekend. So on Saturday I buggered off at 5am with training partner Beaver for a meandering 30kms, partly in the bush and partly on the road. By the end of the run, my feet with in a lot of pain, as the difference of running on the road to starting in the bush was amazing. We both found it a bit tougher than we first thought I guess. But we took it very easy on the way back and finished off with a look at one of the hardest checkpoints, The Basin as it's known.

Then yesterday Melody and I took off for the 7 Bridges walk, a 25km harbourside walk over the 7 bridges of Sydney harbour, funnily enough. I donned a full backpack of around 7kgs and off we went. It was very pleasant actually to be walking and taking it (relatively) easy, and before we knew it 5 1/2 hours later we were back in Rozelle for a well-deserved ice cream.

So a nice 55 miles for the week, and these have been very much the norm for the last 4-5 weeks now. Things have been going well since Glasshouse, where 2 weeks before the race I was doubting if I could do it with the injuries I kept on picking up. However it appears that doing that 100kms really sorted me out somewhat and I'm feeling good. The plan now is to taper slightly for the GNW 175kms, and then it's full steam ahead to around 65 miles a week in December, then peaking at around 90-100 in late February. Yikes!

No comments: