Thursday, October 2, 2008

Heavy legs... beautiful morning!

So a couple of close back-to-back sessions on Wednesday and then again this morning. I think I underestimated how I felt after the 45kms on Saturday. I really felt good once it was complete, and felt like I could have carried on no problem, which I could have done. I also found the 45kms very OK. It will be interesting to see how we get on with the 75kms at night on the same route, but with the added 30 odd thrown in for the finish at Pattonga Beach.

Anyway's last night I really was feeling quite tired, but I dragged myself out and did a nice 3km warm-up to Woolworths and back to get the dinner, and then did 6 x 200m hill sprints outside my house on Darling Street. I'm lucky in that I live on the steep slope going down to the ferry at Balmain East, so doing hill reps is very convenient for me. They're tough work, but good. The first 150m is OK, but the last 50m is where it really gets you, and it's hard graft maintaining the same pace. Anyway, I did them relatively easy, not pushing too hard, but they're good work and get the heart rate pumping!

Then not more than 10 hours later I was back out at 6:30am this morning for a short sharp 7kms around Balmain. I was going to go down to the Bay in Rozelle, but decided not to in the end as I was still feeling weary. Indeed the last 1km caught up with me as the shins started to hurt somewhat. The concrete is becoming so much of an issue now, and soon I'll have my car to get out of the roads and onto the trails more, which I really enjoy running. I'll take a break now until this weekend where I'll do a couple of 16-18km runs, before bringing down next week ahead of Melbourne. Still also need to make the decision on which GNW race to run... the 'safe' 100km, or the darker 175km... I'm 60:40 in favour of the 175km at the moment... mental :)

1 comment:

Anth said...

175km. There is no other option djb.