Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fast fast slow...

So as I gently ease it down towards Melbourne, I wasn't going to head out last night, but I thought better to get one more decent session in ahead of Sunday, so it was just a casual 7kms with 4 x 90 second sprints in them, including a couple of them uphills. All very casual, nothing too dramatic. Today is a rest day, before an easy 7km on Thursday and then two full days of rest (oh joy).

The plan is to not flog myself, but then again who am I kidding, I know I will... I don;t know any other way :) Really getting excited about the GNW 175km now. It's going to be an amazing adventure. Even more so by the fact that only a third of the field actually finish the damn thing. I didn't realise the stats were that low. The key to this one will be survival, and just looking to finish I think. I've read some of the reports from previous years, and even some of the really experienced ultra runners from around the world put this race up there as one of the toughest around. Just some background info for those who don;t know about it:

The Great North Walk is a 250 km walking track that runs between Sydney and Newcastle in New South Wales, Australia. It was opened in the Australian Bicentennial year of 1988 and passes through some of Australia's most outstanding scenery.

The Great North Walk 100s (GNW100s), organized by the Terrigal Trotters running club for the first time in 2005, are two simultaneous trail races, a 100 Mile and a 100 Kilometre, along The Great North Walk south from Teralba on Lake Macquarie. The 100 Kilometre race will finish at Yarramalong in the scenic Yarramalong Valley and the 100 Mile at Patonga on spectacular Broken Bay. Although the route is primarily on foot tracks and fire-trails, it does include some minor back roads. There is more than 6,200 metres (20,000ft) of ascent (and descent) in the 100 Mile and 3,800 metres (12,500ft) of ascent in the 100 Kilometre.


I can't wait for it, but I'm going to really need to study the maps hard and know where I'm going. This one is as much about navigation as it is running, and there are some tight cut off times too. Awesome... can't wait!

No comments: