Thursday, September 4, 2008

Was I dreaming it?

So, after the joy at being able to run 10kms painfree last night, the real test was whether I could go out and do the same again, but slightly further this time. I tried to tape my knee up as per the physio instructions, but to be honest, I'm rather crap at all that. I did what I thought was right, but to be honest it all came apart after about 2kms. This wasn't a big deal as I thought if the knee did start to hurt, then at least I know the taping has a role to play.

So the plan was to try and do 15kms, depending on how I felt. Off I set, and ran nowhere in particular. I like doing this, it keep things interesting instead of doing the same old route. I eventually did end up doing a lot of a route I do normally, but in a slightly different way. The great news is that as per last night, nothing. No knee acheyness or calf trouble at all. I even ran slightly jarder than last night. Not too hard, but put more gas on and more weight onto the left leg and it all felt fine.

Now, what have I done differently? At the physio the other day, she massaged the left calf somewhat and there was a big knot in it. Was this causing me all the grief? Did I simply have a knot in it that affected the knee and made the calf feel like shit? I have a funny feeling that this could have been it. The good news is that after two back-to-back runs and 25kms, I'm not having any trouble, so this bears extremely well for Glasshouse. Running at a slower pace also meant that I was able to practice just that as well, although it's very frutsrating doing so when you know you can run quicker! I think I did 9.5 miles in around 1hr 25 mins which is very slow for me, but hey it's about getting there, and for a 100km race, this will certainly be true. Anyhoo, I'll be busy getting kit together now for Glasshouse, just need a temporary sleeping bag, so bits and bobs and we're away!

No comments: