Monday, April 21, 2008

Sore knees... and some thoughts about life :)

Well yesterday was the first run or any distance since the marathon, an very casual 10kms through the streets of Balmain. I was pretty worried about my knees being so sore from the other run, and wondered if they would return back. Last time they started to hurt about 1.5 miles in, but this time it was 4 miles before they started to hurt and by the end it was pretty uncomfortable. To be honest I can still run, although I wouldn't want to do any run of serious distance with this at the moment, and they recovered really quickly when I got home too. In fact walking is not an issue either, it might be that I need more recovery time than I actually think - who knows.

It does worry me slightly as I really want to get back into the swing of things sharpish and get the habit up and running again. On another note it was really interesting reading some other people's blogs recently, particularly my cyber 'training' buddy Lloyd, who's now re-valuating his position and what he wants to do. There's no doubt about it, the boy has some serious running talent, and can probably of a 2:45 marathon by the end of the year if he wants I would have thought, but doing the marathon has made him re-assess what he wants. I hope he wont mind me writing about it, because I think it's part of the process you go through when training for an event like this. You're constantly re-valuating where you want to be and what you want to achieve, and if along the way your thought processes and goals change, then you have to re-align accordingly. I look at my own training and know thatmy goal is still the MDS next year. I'm building up to this race, and again I look where I have come from. In October last year, I'd never run beyond a distance of 10 miles in my life. Six months later I'm doing a 3:35 marathon. Ask me then if I would have thought that possible and I'd have said no chance. But that's the point I think, we have to constantly shift our targets and goals, and thankfully me me it's a positive at the moment, not the other way round.

However I'm also wondering what I'm going to do post MDS. Something my girlfriend has pointed out. Suddenly there will be this great big void, and I'll have time on my hands. Part of me thinks I'll carry on running, but I'm an all or nothing kinda person. I put my heart into it, or I dont do it... I'm not a 'I'll do a bit here and there person'. So I'll need a new challenge for sure. But for now... it's the MDS, and I know that there's a long way to go. Initially I just wanted to complete, now I'm thinking top 250. Of course, plans will change in the desert, things will happen, I'll get the shits for sure, I'll be in desperation at 9pm on the long stage thinking I want to just keel over and die... but I'm ahead of where I wanted to be. I know I have the aptitude for the training and that if I do my training as per my plan, I'll achieve a top 250 place. But that's an awful lot of pressure to put on myself, but pressure I enjoy. I put pressure on myself before the Canberra marathon. Before the race I said, yeah I can go out and run 3:45 pace, or I can go out, push myself and put myself in a position for something in the 3:30's... and I did just that. The next 11 months for me are about pushing my own limits, or what I perceive them to be, and achieving that place I want... hopefully staying injury free too!

No comments: