Friday, April 11, 2008

Excited...

OK, so now I'm getting very excited about the marathon, which is totally opposite to how I thought I'd feel. I thought I'd be really nervous about it all and worrying about being able to complete it, but I guess my mental strength is far greater than it was two months previously and I have more confidence in myself than ever before. I positively cannot wait to get the the start line.

I guess I'm also helped by the fcat that the 2008'ers have finished and all their reports are going up now, and some of them are brilliant. No matter what position you finish in, the whole experience is very uplifting. It's also funny to read about people's expectations of the event too. When people start out to do these things, it's very much with a mind of finishing, but then the old competitive spirit takes over and I don't think we'll ever be satisfied with whatever result we get. I know I've been like this for the Canberra marathon on Sunday. Initially I want to break 4 hours and I have to be realistic as well as I've never run a marathon before, but part of me really wants to hit higher than that, but how satisfied will I be? I dont want to start out too hard in case I crash and burn, been there, done that before - on a 10km believe it or not! So, I need to be sensible and run a good strategic race. Think I am going to take my camelbac with me on the race as I'm the kind of perso that wants water when he wants it... Sunday awaits!

1 comment:

Lloyd Biddell said...

Good luck Dan, enjoy the experience. Expect an update on the blog soonish!