Monday, January 21, 2008

Who's ya Daddy?

Well i focused on it all day. I took myself into the corner and had a word with myself, beating myself up about how weak I was and how I have to focus on the running. (I seriously think I'm becoming obsessed).

I was so pissed off with yesterday (again! But i really didnt need to be!). So I told myself, tonight is the night I break the back of this training and push myself into new realms. Two and a half hours running, thats what i told myself... no less. I had to do it. 18.5 miles was the course, well over 2 and a half miles more than id ever done.

Job done. 18.5 miles in 2.5 hours... I'm a happy man...


I really feel like I'm getting somewhere now, and a 3.45 marathon looks very realistic given that I'm currently running up and down hills on my route. But you can't say it until youve done it. I hit a bit of a wall at 16 miles and the legs felt very heavy, but thats because ive never run that distance before... however I really dont feel all that bad now. But it's amazing what an extra 3 miles does. I've done a good half dozen runs at the 13/14 mile mark ow and I'm fine until then, but it's a case of getting half a dozen runs in at 18/20 miles now... thats the key. The hardest one is done... more of the same please!

1 comment:

Lloyd Biddell said...

Sounds like the hitting the wall at 16 miles is about 2hrs when your glycogen reserves are exhaused. The more you do these runs the more your body will teach itself to make better use of the glycogen and to burn fat more efficiently. You seem well on course for your mara - keep it up!