Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Je suis un plonker rodney

Well today was all a it strange in the land of Dan's training. First of all it was meant to be a rest day... i even gorged on loads of food at work knowing that i would be putting my feet up later on. However I got on the ferry home from work and had the tunes playing and I was getting really pumped. Then as I powered up the hill home, I could feel a spring in my step and thought, I know, I'll just go for a quick 7 miler, nothing too strenuous, just get it out of my system. This is from the man who yesterday was feeling the 16 miler in his legs from Saturday and felt a slight recurrence of sore shins.

So off I went, nice and easy 4 miles in and clocked at 35 mins. Then from nowhere I hit stride, I was zoned in and I thought sod it, let's really push it. The final 3 miles done in just under 20 mins... jesus sub 7 min miles for me, it's been a long time since I strung 3 of them together. So all in all 7 miles in 55 mins. A good effort I would say. But did I stop there? No siree, I thought I'd just stretch out and warm down for 3 miles and make it a nice even 10 miler...

But I still felt good, so in the end I ended up completing another lap, doing 14 miles on a school night! And this after 4 days straight training and sore shins. Second lap was a touch slower at 59 mins, but even so, a 1hour 54 mins for 14 miles, with hills... that aint too shabby for me.

The reality is that I think I felt I had something to prove to myself after Saturday's torrid run in the heat. I know that in reality, Saturday's run is going to be like everyday of the mds, just throw in some sand and an extra 10 degrees! But I wanted to show myself that I could hit what I would normally expect of myself. IN the long run, I learnt more about Saturday's run than I did tonight, but tonight's run has put a smile on my face, but also made me realise that I can string together 4days of back-to-back training, with two long distance runs in. So a happy man as I chomp on my BBQ meatfeast pizza reward!

1 comment:

Lloyd Biddell said...

Dan, Just to confuse things and probably everyone else I'm replying back to your blog!

Good string of back to back runs, though make sure you give yourself a rest! Have to say I think we are quite alike in our attitude to training i.e. typical blokes! If I'm not running quicker than the last time I did the same route then I'll be critical even if its just by a few seconds! I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be though. I suppose its just the competitor in me. Still struggle to do recovery runs slower than 7.40 min miles though which is just plain stupid.

I notice from your profile that you have Everest on the agenda - glad its not just me then who has a screw loose - I've thought about it a few times too...

Looking at your times I'd say that 4hrs for your mara looks a given to me. May I even suggest that 3.45 looks more than achieveable? I reckon that you could be running somewhere between 3.25 (maybe quicker) and 3.38 based upon what you are doing on your blog - though of course it assumes that your body will be used to a string of 20/21 milers plus conditions/course on the day are suitable (anything over 15 degrees is considered warm!).