Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Recovery run

So last night was the start of a new week and a slightly varying route, but it's essentially the same roads, just done in a different way. I'm actually starting to really enjoy the roads where I live, and find them easier to run on than say running to the beach. I think I worked it out as that I dint like crowds and loads of people. Whenever I run in the city or to the beach there's too many people and they annoy me and get in my way :)

Where I live it's very quiet and I just love the fact that it's me and the road. Anyhoos... I did the 8 mile recovery run and must admit could certainly feel the 16 miler in my legs from Saturday, this despite doing a very gentle 3 miler on the Sunday to keep the legs moving. The good thing is that I had no ill affects from Saturday, felt fine, but like I said, certainly felt the miles in the legs last night. I also felt a slight re-occurrence of the old shin splints, which have not been around for almost 2 months... it wasn't bad by any means, but I certainly felt a few twinges, and incidentally, it's always when I go slowly hmmmm anyway, so taking this into account I sped up and turned my recovery run into a steady run, finishing faster over the last 2 miles. Needless to say the 8 miles was knocked off in around 1hr 8 mins, average pace for me and a decent start to the week. The good thing is that I do feel strong at the end of my runs now, which means I am pacing myself well. The real test will come this weekend when I attempt another 16 miler to see how I'm progressing. This will be the second time doing this, but I'm going to do it over my route near home, and not over some of the steepest hills Sydney has to offer and in 30 degrees of heat! Silly Boy. That then will be a true test of where I am. Given times thus far, I'd love to do the 16 miles in around 2hr 10 mins/15 mins... but we'll see...

No comments: