Thursday, January 31, 2008

Another day, another bout of humidity

So, third day on the trot for running, and yet more unbearable humidity. Today's weather report... 24 degrees and the highest yet, 94% humidity. So did a 7 mile recovery run just before some drinks at work, and went round in about 59 mins. Didnt time it as such, just know from looking at my watch before I went out, and when I came back again. But the key thing is that I felt better as the run went on. Started off pretty slugish for the first 3 miles, but the last 4 were good. There's a stretch on my run, between 4-5 miles where I just glide. It's probably the flatest part of my course, but I just seem to get in a zone whereby I run like a demon. There was a guy around 40 metres in front of me when I just started the stretch, and within 200 metres I overtook him, not through the want of trying, but just gliding along, and the run from there was easy for the last 3 miles.So all in all... a good last 3 days of running, coming in at 27 miles, but in probably the hardest conditions I've ever run in. I dont think I've ever run in such humid conditions as this week, averaging arond 83%... but all good. whilst it's been hard, it's be a learning curve, and one from which I'll get better...

Hopefully, the humidity will drop this weekend so I can get a good 15 mile+ run in Saturday or Sunday... bon chance mes braves...

2 comments:

Lloyd Biddell said...

Opposite problem here, blowing gales and several inches of snow predicted! Good times in those conditions. I too tend to feel sluggish early on, I think its part down to the stiffness from earlier runs easing off and better circulation.

Anonymous said...

So I hear from my mum! The sluggishness over here is ver much down to the weather, it's amazing how much the humidity affects you. On a normal day, I'm fine. But as soon as we get past 60% humidity the effect on the legs is unbelievable. I actually walk up some of the hills on my route to conserve energy, it would be crazy to run up them, and I dont actually go any slower to be honest.