Sunday, January 20, 2008

Horrendous humidity

Well, that will learn me. Thinking I can go off and do another 16 miler this week. I had great ideas about it... the weather was really overcast when I got up this morning, great conditions I thought. Not too hot. Oh dear... little did I know that whilst it was overcast, it was 28 degrees Celsius and I've just checked out that humidity is at around 75%. So off I went at normal pace and I was wasted within 3 miles. It's so funny how it affects you. So I seriously slowed down and even walked up some of the hills. It's bizarre just how badly the humidity hit me. My legs felt like they were encased in concrete, and just wouldn't move.

I called it quits after 7 miles. I was a little annoyed, but I knew that carrying on would have been a waste of time, especially when i have a big week next week. (Am planning on running 5 days on the trot because I'm away for the weekend. So just the 37 miles this week (god i make it sound like I'm a failure!)... But even still I managed to get a long run in (14 miler on Tuesday)... however I really want to push up to 16+ a bit more regularly. I'm probably being quite harsh on myself, but that's where I need to be by the end of January... knocking on the 16-18mile door, before knocking on the 18-20 mile door in February for the marathon in April.

Although in all fairness I've done 3 weeks of 40 miles, so maybe that's taking its toll a bit, but more likely it is the humidity. I was literally gasping for air and my heart was having to work so much harder. You could have cut the air with a knife it was so thick.

Laters....

No comments: