Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Swimming and running

I'm still not 100% confident about the leg, but I'm going to carry on with 'light' training and put up and shut up. Last night was another 30 laps of the pool at a pretty brisk pace, followed up by 10 reps of the hill outside my house. The aim is to do these as quick as possible. The previous record for me on this was just a shade under 25 mins, but I did take quite a few water breaks in that, so I knew that if I went pretty much non stop on this, it would be beaten.

The leg still didn't feel quite right whilst doing the reps, and I've reverted back to the heel strike for now. It's easy to do on the injured leg, but quite hard on the other leg as it naturally wants to front foot strike now. The heel strike action also feels so laboured compared to the front foot action, so things were tough. Anyway, I got through the 10 reps on 22mins and 50secs, not bad for an injured guy. That's 200m up and down, so that' 5.45km pace up and down the hills. It was hard work as well. I can tell that I've lost a bit of fitness and put on a few kilos as well. Need to sort that out, as I tucked into chocolate pudding and ice cream last night :)

Anyway's I will be sensible about running in these first two weeks back now. Slowly build it back up, running every other day to get the leg used to running again, and then hopefully get some bigger distances in February. The good thins is that I think running on the trails will be good as it's merely a wobble on the flats and downhills, followed by a walk uphill - easy peasy!

I'm still a little nervous about Narrabeen and walking for 12 hours. I really dont know how I'll hold up. Should I wear a pack, or should I just focus on getting a good 12 hours walking in?

2 comments:

Anth said...

Am looking forward to catching up at at the NAN this weekend djb.

Go the pack for the 12 hour - you can always ditch it if you're feeling a bit uneasy about the injury, and then if you get worse, you can stop as much as you like.

I reckon it would be good preparation/experience though - being comfortable with walking with the backpack for a seriously long period of time.

Anonymous said...

Use the pack - where else are all your sausage rolls going to fit?

Seriously though - the NAN is training for MDS - it's mental training - what do you do when things get tough and how does your mind react and how do you counter any negative thoughts.

BTW - I'd be stoked to average 5.45 pace - so even though you're injured you're still faster than I am!