Friday, January 9, 2009

Always thinking...

So another 20 laps of the pool last night and then another 20 this morning, just 10 hours later. All in a day's work. Nothing much more to report. The leg seems to have held up well after that 26km power walking on Wednesday - no adverse affects, although I'm still nervous about it. It's been nearly a month now and whilst it's definitely eased up, there is still pain on the bone. It's certainly stronger, but how much longer will I need? If it's still like this at the end of January I'll be quite concerned going into the MDS. I at least want to be able to run the majority of it, and not have to walk such a big distance, but if I have to then so be it I guess. It's a shame as I will feel like there's unfinished business as far as the MDS is concerned, but with such a long prep and lead time, the timing of this injury is pretty darn awful and exactly what I feared going into this. I have 15 months of good quality training and then bagn, with three months to go something goes wrong.

I'm looking forward to Narrabeen, but by the same token, I don't want to over do it on the leg and screw it over some more. Walking I think will be OK, but what do I do post Narrabeen? Do I rest for 2 weeks and hope that things improve, or do I carry on training/walking and doing what I can in a bid to keep some sort of fitnees ahead of April 1st? February was going to be my big month of back-to-backs. I can still do those, albeit walking them, but still... it's not how I wanted things to be. Oh the turmoil of friggin injuries. This one is strange. I can run up and down hills, but running on the flat hurts (good idea to do a 12 hour flat ultra then tomorrow!). I guess I'll know a bit more if and when I come through Narrabeen. Should I be doing this race? Probably not, but I have to at least try - it's not in my nature to not at least have a go. Sometimes that's to my detriment, but that's just who I am. Will I look back on all this in years to come and laugh? Probably. But I'm not laughing at the moment. When I think of the money and the time commitment I've made to this, it staggers me that I spend probably the best part of $15,000 in preparation and spend thousands of hours training for one week, and I can't even do it the way I want to do it. But still, be positive that's what they say. I'm not very good at that - I'm a realist not an optimist. I know when things are good, and I know when they're not.

No comments: