Friday, January 23, 2009

Feck...

So, after all the highs and lows the X-ray has confirmed the worst (well as much as I can read X-rays anyway)... I have a stress fracture. There's a nice long crack about 1cm long on the Fibula, and an obvious bump where it's trying to mend itself. Personally I don't know what to think right now. The physio said that if it shows up on a normal X-ray, then that is bad - I know what he'll say - don't do the race.

The way I look at it, I have 9 weeks to 'manage' the injury. I've just mapped out 7 weeks of swimming and cycling. There will be no more running now until I take that first step out in the desert. 15 sodding months of busting a gut and flying to far-flung places in Australia, of nearly passing out on my first 100kms, of breaking the 3hrs 30mins barrier in a marathon. All in pursuit of smashing the MDS to bits, and what happens - I bugger myself up.

I know where it happened, its all the GNW fault. If I'd finished that I wouldn't have been in such an arse with myself and then gone out for a run around the Bay with such single-mindedness of smashing out 4min 15sec kms and I wouldn't have felt that twinge 4kms into the run as I was going up a slight incline just past the tree and where the boats dock. That's where this happened. I rested for a day though, surely it was a muscle twinge? Then I go for two big trail ultras in 6 days and it gets worse... and well the rest is history really.

The way I see it, you can whinge (which I did for 48 hours), or you can make the best of it. I had real aspirations for the MDS, of a top 150 finish. That was the goal. The goal now is to firstly make it to the race, and secondly... just complete it. It really will be hardcore swimming and cycling and twice a day to the gym. I'm immensely frustrated given the effort I've put in to get my fitness to the place it was at. The fitness is probably shot to bits now. I haven't done any really decent training for 6 weeks now. Bits and pieces here and there and a 'fluked' 91kms. How the hell the leg didn't clean snap on that race I don't know, especially carrying nearly 10kgs for the first 42kms. The mind boggles. The xray isn't even funny given the long crack to the fibula - how it help up I don't know. The key word now is 'manage'. Manage the injury whilst busting a gut swimming and cycling and then hope for the best in Morocco. This is such an arse, but an arse that I have to deal with...

No comments: