Monday, June 2, 2008

New trainers weekend

So after a rest day on Friday, it was back to the grind on the weekend, and I actually ended up doing more than I thought I would. I'm still evaluating which trainers I'm going to wear in the MDS next year. Many people go for a trail shoe, because of the varied terrain. However having taken my Asics Kayano's for a stretch on the Six Foot Track (http://www.sixfoot.com/) the other week, they held up pretty well and I was pleased at how they went, and also, given that they were on their last legs. So this weekend was a very casual 10 miler on Saturday with a few strides thrown in for good measure, going round in 1hr 18 mins, again a reflection on how much fitter I'm getting.

Sunday was a buy some new trainers day - and the latest and greatest pair of Kayanos. It's funny because I can't imagine wearing any other trainers now. The cost of them is not great ($249), so I thought I'd try on a cheaper pair of Asics, and the difference was immense. So fork out for the Kayano's I did, and then took them on a gentle 5 miler to break them in, running from the city down to Bondi Beach to do some soft sand running. I did 8 lengths of the beach, which equates roughly to about 5 1/2 miles in barefoot. I really enjoy the soft sand stuff, and half of me thinks that when it comes to the sand in the Sahara, should I just take my trainers off and run in barefoot? Maybe a little silly, but hey, who knows :) So all in another 10 mile day, taking the slightly chilled week to a nice 33 miles, before ramping back up again this week and the Manly Soft Sand Classic on Sunday - a half marathon on soft sand, awesome!

No comments: