Monday, June 23, 2008

Illness... Blurgh!!!

Well the illness has really knocked for me six over the last week. I've still managed to train, and indeed, whilst I was ill I did do some running. However the cold turned itself into a chest infection which is every runners worst nightmare. I can generally run when I have a cold, it doesnt affect me too much. But as soon as the chest becomes infected and I start bringing up loads of crap, that's when running becomes impossible. Essentially the last two weeks training have been dessimated by my illness, which whilst frustrating is just a fact of life I suppose. I took a lighter week the week before last as I was feeling incredibly weak towards the end of it, and thought the rest would do me good. Which it did. However that then manifested itself into a head cold, but I carried on training (and did some bloody quick times), however by Thursday last week it all started to go wrong and before you know it, all this horrible green shit comes up each morning.

So after 3 days of coughing like a madman, I attempted a long run on Sunday, but just 3 miles in, and despite taking it very slowly, breathing was very difficult - so I called it a day realising that trying to attempt a 15-20 miler was just going to do more damage than good. The plan then is to rest up today (as it would have been my rest day anyway), and then get back on it tomorrow. I'm getting there, but it's bloody annoying. That's now two weeks or pretty low milage (23 and 28 miles respectively), and I have another marathon in 4 weeks, so really need to get a couple of longer runs in. However c'est la vie, that's the way it goes and at last it's not a physical injury and just an illness!

No comments: