Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Nice little recovery

Despite feeling a bit achey still from the war that was the Deep Space marathon, I thought it best to get out and do an easy 4 miler just to get the legs going again. It actually felt really good, and although somewhat heavy, my legs felt strong - must have been from all that mountain climbing at the weekend. So much so that I tagged on 5 x 200m hill reps to the end of my run. I'm now going to do much more of these as I really want to increase my leg strength. The mountain marathon at the weekend taught me a good lesson - that I'm pretty shit at going up hills... (and coming down them). I really need to work the legs over and over again and make them feel the pain of hill sprints, given that I live on one of the steepest in Balmain, here in Sydney.

I also feel pretty good about the months ahead, now that I've made the decision not to try and crucify myself with really high and stupid unneccessary mileage over the next 3 months. This next stage was where I was really going to ramp it up, but I've decided not to. I want to be feeling fresh for the MDS, so manby people go into it with little niggles... I dont want that fingers crossed. I'll peak at around 70 miles a week I reckon, and the bulk of that will be made from doing back to back runs at the weekend of between 25 and 30 miles. That's what I'm going to concentrate on over the weekends over the next three months. Then I'll do my tempo and hill work during the week. I'm in a good place with all this running I feel... so much so that I totted up the miles today. Not that it matters, because it's not about how many miles you clock up, it's about the quality, but I'm now on 2,025 miles since I started training seriously last October... not a bad little total, which should probably reach just over 2,500 by the real thing me thinks!

But it's about the quality of those miles, and I dont want to be doing 'dead' miles in the coming months, it's be long slow stuff and high short intensity runs around the Bay. Although I do need to get that backpack on a bit more me thinks too... I'm fine with carrying 4kgs over 110kms odd... but need to up the weight too.

No comments: