Sunday, November 16, 2008

The joy of a new pair of trainers...

Weird... I was weary and my knee hurt yesterday. The today I go and smack out a pretty quick 10kms. All very strange. I wasn't even going to go out today as my right knee is giving me a little jip. Probably just a slight ligament strain, as it feels very similar to how the left knee felt a few months back. But I thought I'd head out even if only for a nice easy 7kms. However I was feeling so good I extended it to just under 11km and it was a great little run. I wouldn't have thought that only a week ago I was on trail doing 100km+. Anyhow, a nice bounce back week, totally 50kms and a good back to back yesterday and today.

I feel my training is in a very good place right now as we lead into the last 3-4 months ahead of what I've been working towards for the last 18 months. Training will really ramp up now in the summer, and I have some fantastic places to go out and train now that I have the car. I've decided that in February I'm going to attempt 4 weekends of 50kms each Saturday and Sunday on some of the toughest terrain on the GNW. That will be awesome preparation for the MDS. It will mean 100kms at the weekends, and then I can keep things ticking over during the week. To be honest thinking about the training more and more, I don't quite understand those people that try and knock off big distances during the week. I personally think that at my peak at the end of February I'll be doing two 50kms at the weekend, and then 3 x 20km during the week - 160kms peak for two weeks is more than enough. I don't see the point in making up distances during the week. This race is about 6 x 40kms (approx). so training should be geared towards that. However just my opinion I suppose... each to their own! Quite excited now about all of this training ahead. Fingers crossed I'll remain injury free over the next 3 months and I can gradually ramp up the mileage slowly and peak at the end of Feb. Jesus, that's only 3.5 months away!

No comments: