Saturday, November 15, 2008

Back on the trail...

In hindsight a good decision not to carry on last week. Up at 5:30am today and off for a 25km trail run back on the Great North walk, however a little nearer to Sydney on the 'Beyond the black stump' route. This is a nice and fairly easy little run and it was good to get that distance under the belt, only a week after the 113kms last week. Admittedly I was a little weary, but it was pretty good to be honest, and whilst there were some hills, to be quite frank they were nothing compared to some of the stuff we had to do last week! I went along with a guy called Keith (one of Andrew's friend's) and we had a nice little jaunt. One of the stretches is a tough 2kms uphill also, which we decided to run, and the quads were certainly feeling it in that last 500m! But again, all good, and some great training. I think I'll make this one of my regular routes.

I'm also looking forward to getting back onto the GNW proper and doing some of the serious hill stretches ahead of the MDS. The 3rd stage between Congewai and the basin, as well as adding in a bit more towards Yaramlong is simply fantastic training for next March. Anyway, back to the grind now, one or two more races lined up, but for now the focus is on big mileage at the weekends. Consecutive runs of 40-50kms is what's required now. Really does make me think what the during the week runs are all about now, more a case of keeping things ticking over I think. The benefit is in the big long stuff at weekends.

No comments: