Thursday, November 20, 2008

More quality... calf strain!

It's always the way... I do this hard stuff and I tend to push the boat out a little and strain my soleus muscle. It's the same one each time which really should tell me something, but hey I'm a man and I'm stupid! Still I wasn't going to go out last night and I set off and it was a little tender. I then stopped and thought about what I was doing... here I was going for a 'normal' run. They bore me now. Seriously, I find it very hard to motivate myself to go and and just run at a steady pace. I need some hills to sprint up, or do a tempo run, or smash along a trail. So I turned round after 1/2 a km and ran home to do some hill reps. I live on a nice big hill (about 200m long), so I did ten reps of them at between 60-70% threshold. Jesus by number 8 the quads were starting to hurt a little, especially after last night's tempo run. However 10 x 200m of that was far better than just knocking off an easy 10kms. I know I should do these sometimes, and it's important to do them as they 'rest' my body somewhat, but I'll do that on Friday I think.

I'm resting now tonight ahead of the Deep Space marathon on Sunday. I always had my eye on this one as it looked cool. Not only because of the name, but because it looks pretty tough too. It's also a small event, which I like and is a trail run over some nice mountains. The winner last year did it in 3hr 49mins, and looking back, he's a 2hr 50min marathon runner! So it's definitely a tough one. I'll be looking for somewhere around 4hrs 30 - 5hrs, depending on how hard I push myself. Being realistic, it's only 2 weeks since GNW, so more towards the 5hrs mark I think. People have said it's very similar to 6 foot track, so it will be a nice little test, plus I'll stick the camelbac on to carry a bit of weight too. Plus we can camp at the start line, so this one will be a nice couple of days in the outback, chilling. I like that...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find I do 20 reps of bicep movement with my arm but that doesn't seem to work, maybe it cause I have a great glass of wine it in.