Friday, August 22, 2008

Mudgee Marathon

So, I went for a little jaunt on Wednesday evening and given that I'd only had two full days of rest, I felt OK. Admittedly this was just a nice easy 10kms, and was very slow (54 mins), but I didn't feel too shabby.

It's been a tough call as to whether or not I was going to enter Mudgee, but I know I'll regret it if I don't. I just hope I don't regret it for the wrong reasons come race day. The knee is OK. I can still feel a slight strain on the ligament, and the soleus is still tight, but I really will be taking this one nice and slow, around 3:40 pace I think. So rather than blasting out of the blocks again like last weekend, this weekend will be sure and steady from the start, then I'll see how I go for the second 21kms.

However it will be an early start for me. Rather than stay in a hotel the night before, I'm going to head off at 3am and get there for around 6:30am. Hopefully all will go OK, and this will be a great test of where I'm at ahead of the Glasshouse 100km race in 3 weeks time. It seems funny to see where I've come, but running back-to-back marathons like this would have been beyond me even 4 months ago. It still might be, who knows, but I have to have a go. It's going to hurt, but I'll just tell myself to keep it steady and just get through it ahead of Glasshouse with no major injuries. I already have two minor strains on the go, I don't want to make them any worse. Of course the sensible head on me would have passed this marathon, but I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now and really want to do 2 in 7 days. If I'm serious about running well in the MDS, then I have to do this - fingers crossed without doing myself some serious damage! As a result, training has been light this week (just the 10kms), but that's cool.

No comments: