Thursday, August 14, 2008

More of the usual with a side order of shin splints

So the usual 10km route last night. Although reading the blog of another marathon runner last night, his work rate astounds me! 26k and 28k respectively on a school night! How the hell can you fit that into the day. I guess you make time for that kind of thing really if you want to! But considering I'm running an ultra in March, it makes me think I should be upping my game somewhat! Anyway, I will stick to my plan!

So last night was in all truth a frigging nightmare of a run as the shin splints were terrible. With 3-4 days to go before a marathon, it really worries me, but I know they tend to come and go quite quickly with no rhyme or reason. As I mentioned before I think a lot of it has to do with the cold weather, and at the moment I really want it to warm-up. It's funny that when I speed up, the shins start to hurt less, but there's no way I can keep that kind of pace going for 42kms. So ironically, even though I felt like I was going backwards at some points, I ran the route in 47 minutes, 2 minutes quicker than last night when I felt like I was bouncing along. There is no reason really...

So tonight I'm not running, going to rest the shins, even though I feel I could go out. And think I'll do a casual 10kms on Friday night ahead of the race on Sunday. The plan is to go steady I think, as I want myself to be in shape for a run in Mudgee the following weekend. So cold ice and lots of stretching is order of the day this evening!

2 comments:

Anth said...

djb - good luck for this weekend (and next weekend in Mudgee). Hopefully the shin splints aren't a problem on the weekend and you can put another solid 42km's under the belt.

If you're doing the MdS, maybe you should run this weekend's marathon with sand in your shoes? I'm sure we can find some on the banks of the Murrimbidgee if you're keen :)

Dan said...

Thanks for the comments Anth. I think I'll pass on the sand, although maybe I should bring my gaitors with me this weekend! Shins feel much better today. It's very bizarre, they come and go as they wish. Going for a light 10kms tonight to see how we go, but it should be fine. Adrenaline tends to take you through this kind of thing anyway! See you at the Riverine Cluc tomorrow...