Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rowing not running

So I@m being sensible-ish and instead of running did a nice load of rowing yesterday. A brisk 2000m warm-up in 7mins 36secs, followed by a steady 5000m at 19mins 37secs and then a 2000m warm-down in 7mins 37secs. Nice to get back on the rower actually as I used to do a lot of indoor rowing. It bloody hurts when you start to go for it, but I think it's a really good one to keep the aerobic stuff going whilst I cant run on my calf.

In some ways the calf injury is probably a blessing in disguise, as it's enforcing me to have a break, exactly half-way into my training, which can't be a bad thing at all. Plus I should technically be on taper for the marathon next week, but to be honest I dont give a stuff about tapering too much now. I'm not even looking at the Hunter Valley marathon as a big thing now. For me, it's another chance to get some mileage under the belt, and I'm going to wear my backpack as well, and test out my kit and load it up with some weight also. Quite what other competitors will make of it I dont know, but hey, all good fun. I do worry about the distance and being able to run the whole way given prep for this has not been great, but I should be OK. I only did Canberra 3 months ago, and I know my fitness overall has increased since then, as I'm running quicker so all will be OK i'm sure - it will just hurt. I have to be careful with the calf as well, which is another good reason not to leg it too much in the marathon. The last thing I want to do is bugger it up more. So the plan is to rest it until Saturday, then go for a 2 hour run and see how that feels. The a couple of shorter runs ahead of Sunday and the marathon.

The all being well after the Hunter Valley, I'll be setting out to do a couple of 30 milers before the Fraser Island marathon in late August, and the biggie... the Glasshouse 100km race! YIKES!

No comments: