Saturday, July 12, 2008

Back on it

So after 4 days of rest, today was the little 'tester' run before I fly back to Australia. So with great care I embarked on a very casual 5kms, just nice and steady, but towards the last few kms, put some more intervals in and faster strides to test the calf and see how it is. The good news is that it came through well with no aches, tweaks or pains, so it appears that the 4 days of rest has done me good. That said, I've now done very little mileage in the last 2 weeks - just 20 to be precise, so I hope that fitness hasnt suffered as a result.

So after landing in Oz on Monday morning, I have 6 days to get over the jet lag and get ready for my second marathon - which should be a great one through the Hunter Valley Wine region. I'm not expecting much from this as prep has not been great, plus I dont want to push the calf too hard either, so we'll see how we go with this one. But I shouldnt be pushing this one at all - that said I know I'll be arsed off if I dont get near my time at Canberra. The funny thing is that my average minuter per mile is now quite a lot quicker than when I ran Canberra, however I'm concerned by the lack of longer distances I've done since then. The reason for my quicker times I feel is that I've don more shorter distance speed work, which I felt like I've really benefitted from. As a resul though, I've only done one 26 mile trail run, and a couple of 16-18 milers, but have done quite a few half marathon distances, so here's hoping!

No comments: