Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Back on the routine

So after the highs of a new marathon PB, a light week last week and a 7km sprint around my local bay in the big local race of the year, it was back to the grind of weekly training schedules. As mentioned my calf is a little tight still at the moment. I don't think it's pulled or anything, just tight, which is a good thing. However I was a little worried as I embarked on my usual 6 mile route last night, but took the first 3 miles fairly slowly to ease it in. I've just bought a Garmin 50 as well, as I want to measure my heart rate and train accordingly, and I have to say it's brilliant. So setting off and keeping the levels at around 140-150, I took the first 3 miles nice and easy, but the calf was still concerning me. However when I quickened up and move it up a notch for the last 3, the calf felt fine, and I got the heart rate up to 165, and then up to 180 towards the end. A good training session, boshing off a nice 10kms in just over 45 minutes. Bizarre! 10 months ago, Id have been over the moon with a 45 minute 10km, but last night was just a casual run... weird how expectations rise...

No comments: