Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Another wee while...

Well here I am again, promising to write regularly and again its been two weeks. But the great news is that training is going well and I feel fit and healthy. The shin splints that plagued me when I started training seem (and I use the word very lightly), to be OK... that is I can run 4 days on the trot... as I did this weekend just gone, and not have any really bad side effects. I even did two longer back-to-back runs (10 and 9 miles), and even pushed a 9 mile time trial the day after the 10 miler and it felt good. It's so pleasing for a change to be reporting pretty much injury free and training going well. I've now got 5 solid weeks of 25-30 miles each week behind me, and I'm a happy man. However I don't want to count my chickens just yet.

I really think the key has been just slowing down, and not pushing myself too hard. Since moving to Australia I've really been careful with my training and it's starting to pay dividends. Plus there are some great runs out here too, and I'm planning some much longer, harder terrains to run on in the next few weeks. For the moment I'm going to stick to my plans... keep the 5-8 milers going during the week, and then the longer 10-13 mile runs at the weekends.

I've also signed myself up for the Canberra Marathon. This will be my first ever marathon, so a little apprehensive, but also very excited... and then possibly looking at some other off-roads runs too. So fingers crossed, and now that I'm in my new place... i can update more regularly on this thing too!

No comments: